Friday cloncurry to mount isa was a 125 km …

Friday cloncurry to mount isa was a 125 km …
Cloncurry to Mount Isa, Australia

Cloncurry to Mount Isa, Australia


Friday… Cloncurry to Mount Isa was a 125 km stretch of twisty hilly roads, much more interesting to drive on. The town was also interesting. A copper, silver, lead and zinc mine took up half the space and we went on a bus tour to learn more about it. The exhaust fumes alone were used to create sulphuric acid, 4000 tonnes per day, making it the worlds largest producer of fertiliser, yet using up only 80% of the emmissions. They said that the wind blew the rest of the sulphur dioxide towards the desert in the South-West, so it didn’t really matter about the other 20%! We were surprised to hear that the lead and silver is shipped to England, in four-tonne blocks, containing one kilogram of silver per tonne of lead. Due to safety factors, we could only watch the whole process from the bus. There was a waiting list of over a week to go down into the mine, which we would like to have done. Saturday… Since Mount Isa was a fairly large town due to the many thousands of people working in the mines, we decided to stay for a day and relax a bit. (It had nothing to do with the free sausage sizzle BBQ evening on Saturday night, honest!!!)


Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s